As the sun begins to set on another glorious Summer, there's no better way to bid adieu to the season than by indulging in some delectable dishes that capture the essence of sunshine and fresh ingredients. Our esteemed Parents of the North Ambassadors have graciously shared their favorite summer recipes that have been lighting up their tables all season long. So, even though Autumn is gently knocking on our doors, there's still time to savor these delightful creations and soak in the last rays of Summer.
Sierra Roundy's Homemade Baguette with Garden Tomatoes
There's something magical about the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the air, especially when paired with ripe, juicy tomatoes straight from the garden. Sierra Roundy presents her beloved Homemade Baguette with Garden Tomatoes recipe. The golden, crusty exterior of the baguette gives way to a pillowy, tender interior, providing the perfect canvas for the star of the show: garden-fresh tomatoes. "We love this recipe for two reasons: Because we grow our own tomatoes, and we also love making homemade bread. Not to mention our daughter LOVES tomatoes, so she gets so excited about it. And that glaze on top is the best part! Something about fresh tomatoes on bread just tastes like summer," Sierra says.
- 1 1/2 cups warm 105-115 degrees water, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 2 packets active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar divided
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Melted butter for brushing on loaves (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the water, the yeast, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Stir just to combine and cover. Let the mixture stand for about 5 minutes or until bubbly or foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer or food processor, blend the flour, salt, the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar, and the yeast mixture. Gradually add water, up to the remaining 1 cup, and mix until the dough forms a smooth ball that is not too sticky to handle. (If the dough ends up too sticky, add a little more flour.) Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cut the dough in half and shape the halves into baguettes. Place on a greased pan, score the loaves down the middle cover with a dish towel, and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees and pour water in the bottom of the oven to create steam. Bake the baguettes for 15 minutes or until they have a hollow sound when tapped with a knife. If desired, brush the tops of the loaves with butter halfway through baking. For a softer crust, brush with butter when they have finished baking.
Once bread has cooled, slice up some garden tomatoes. Top on slices with some salt, chopped up basil. And finally drizzle with Trader Joe's Balsamic Glaze. Enjoy!
Natashia Szugyi's Grilled Salmon and Asparagus with Basil Pesto Sauce and a Strawberry Kale Salad
Natashia Szugyi, our Ambassador and foodie extraordinaire, invites us to partake in a sumptuous feast that celebrates the bounties of both land and sea. Her Grilled Salmon and Asparagus with Basil Pesto Sauce and a Strawberry Kale Salad is a symphony of flavors and textures. Natashia says, “this is a staple meal in the summertime for us because it's healthy, fresh and we can grill everything to keep our house cool in this Texas heat! We really value fueling ourselves with nutritional food that's sustainably sourced, and we buy our produce locally as much as we can. Salmon is a family favorite, along with asparagus.... we eat salmon and asparagus 1-3x a week in this house. The Strawberry Kale Salad is a family recipe and OMG it's like crack. My brother and sister-in-law introduced this salad to us upon our arrival to Texas, and this is another staple in our house. It's so fresh and filled with delicious ingredients and is truly a fan fav. I bring this to every gathering we attend because it's easy to throw together and there's never any leftovers!”
- Wild caught sockeye salmon fillets
- Avocado oil
- Salt pepper and garlic to taste
Drizzle salmon and asparagus with avocado oil and add salt, pepper and garlic to taste.
Vegan Basil Pesto Recipe:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups firmly packed basil leaves (we sub for pea shoots microgreens sometimes)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (we sub walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sweet white miso paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt - more to taste
Add all to the food processor and blend until it meets your desired consistency.
Strawberry Kale Salad Recipe:
- 1 bunch crinkle kale (or a bag of chopped kale)
- Diced strawberries
- Candied nuts and dried cranberries
- Diced cucumber
- Diced avocado
- Goat feta
- Brianna's blush wine dressing
Erin Gallimore's Chicken Fajitas
Summer wouldn't be complete without the sizzle of a good old Tex-Mex fiesta, and Erin Gallimore's Chicken Fajitas are the embodiment of that spirit. A tantalizing marriage of marinated, grilled chicken and a colorful array of bell peppers and onions, these fajitas pack a punch of flavor that's hard to resist. Erin says, “this is our favorite recipe that we cook on our flattop grill. We eat it at least once a week in the summer.” Served with warm tortillas, zesty salsa, and a dollop of creamy guacamole, these fajitas are the ultimate farewell to summer.
- Avocado Oil
- Marinated chicken tenders
- Peppers (red, yellow, green)
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fajita seasoning
And if you're looking for a detailed guide on how to bring this masterpiece to life, Erin has thoughtfully included the direct link to the recipe, ensuring you have all the guidance you need to recreate this culinary delight in your own kitchen.
Embrace the Culinary Legacy of Summer
As summer draws to a close, these Ambassador-inspired recipes offer a culinary journey through diverse flavors and cultures. Whether you're yearning for the rustic charm of a French baguette, the vibrant freshness of Mediterranean seafood, or the bold and hearty notes of Tex-Mex cuisine, there's something for every palate to relish. So, don't let the waning days of summer slip away without experiencing the magic of these exquisite dishes. Gather your loved ones, fire up the grill, and celebrate the joy of good food and great company. After all, the memories made around the table are the ones that linger long after the last rays of sunshine have faded.